Vegetable Tahiri – vegetable tehri is an aromatic, spiced one pot rice & veggie based dish from the uttar pradesh cuisine.
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
Veggies for Vegetable Tehri:
- 200 to 210 grams potatoes, 2 large potatoes or 1 cup tightly packed potatoes
- 200 to 210 grams cauliflower, 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 115 grams carrots or 2 medium sized or ½ cup chopped carrots
- 50 grams french beans or 12 to 14 french beans or 1/3 cup chopped beans
- ½ cup green peas (matar) – fresh or frozen
Other ingredients for Vegetable Tahiri:
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 175 grams onions or 3 medium sized onions or 1 cup heaped sliced onions
- 155 grams tomatoes or 3 medium sized tomatoes or ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste or 1 inch ginger + 6 to 7 garlic – crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 3 green chilies (hari mirch) – slit
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or 300 grams basmati rice
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kewra water or rose water (optional)
- 3 cups water
- salt as required
TALASHGOLD whole spices for Vegetable Tahiri:
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 4 green cardamoms (chotti elaichi)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 4 to 5 cloves (lavang)
- 2 sticks each of 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
How to make recipe-
Preparation for Vegetable Tahiri recipe :
rinse 1.5 cups basmati rice in water very well till the water runs clear of starch. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
after 30 minutes, drain the rice and keep aside.
rinse and soak 2 cups mediums sized cauliflower florets in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes.
this blanching step is optional and only to get rid of any insects or worms in the cauliflower. after blanching the cauliflower, drain them and keep aside. also chop the rest of the veggies and keep aside.
Making Vegetable Tahiri :
heat 3 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed deep pot or pan.
add the following spices and saute till the spices splutter and become fragrant – 1 tej patta, 4 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 4 to 5 cloves and 2 sticks each of 1 inch cinnamon. instead of ghee you can also use mustard oil or sunflower oil.
then add 1 cup heaped sliced onions.
stir and begin to saute the onions.
sauteing the onions take a lot of time. so add a pinch of salt for quick cooking of the onions.
saute till the onions become golden.
then add 1 tbsp ginger+garlic paste. saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
add 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes. saute the tomatoes for a minute or two.
then add 1 cup tightly packed diced potatoes. saute the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on a low to medium flame.
next add 1/2 cup chopped carrots, 1/3 cup chopped french beans , 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas and the cauliflower florets.
mix the veggies with the rest of the ingredients.
then add 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves, 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 3 slit green chilies, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
stir and mix very well.
add 1/2 tbsp lemon juice.
then add rice. mix the rice very well with the masala and saute for a minute.
pour 3 cups water. you can also add 1 tsp rose water or kewra water at this step.
season with salt.
cover the pan with a tight lid. if you want you can also seal the pan with an aluminium foil and then cover the pan with a lid.
on a low flame, cook the tahiri till all the water is absorbed and the rice grains are fluffy and soft.
it took me 20 minutes for the rice to cook. time will vary depending on the size and volume of pan, the thickness of pan, flame intensity etc.
once done, give a resting time of 5 minutes. then gently fluff and serve vegetable tahiri with a raita or plain curd.